Raccoons are familiar visitors to residential areas, and while they may look cute and cuddly, they can cause significant damage to your property and pose health risks to humans and pets. In this article, we’ll discuss how to safely and effectively remove raccoons from your property, and what to look for in a professional raccoon removal service.
Signs of Raccoon Activity
Before we get into the removal process, it’s essential to know how to identify signs of raccoon activity. Some common symptoms include:
- Knocked over trash cans or scattered garbage
- Scratches on the exterior of your home or damage to your roof
- Holes or damage to your yard or garden
- Foul odors, especially near your chimney or attic
- Noises, such as scratching or thumping sounds, coming from your attic or walls
If you notice any of these signs, you likely have raccoons on your property and should take action to address the situation.
DIY Raccoon Removal
Suppose you’re comfortable handling the situation yourself. In that case, you can use some DIY methods to remove raccoons from your property. These include:
- Using a humane trap: A live trap can capture the raccoon and release it elsewhere. Check local regulations before using a trap, as some areas may require a permit or have specific rules in place.
- Using a deterrent: You can use various deterrents to discourage raccoons from visiting your property, such as motion-activated lights or sprinklers, or specific scents that raccoons dislike.
- Sealing off entry points: Raccoons can enter your home through small openings, so it’s important to seal off any gaps or holes in your walls, roof, or foundation.
Professional Raccoon Removal Services
If you’re uncomfortable handling the situation alone, or if you have a large raccoon infestation, it’s best to contact a professional raccoon removal service. When choosing a service, look for the following:
- Licensing and insurance: Ensure the company is licensed and insured to perform wildlife removal services in your area.
- Humane methods: Choose a company that uses humane methods to remove raccoons, rather than trapping and killing them.
- Experience and expertise: Look for a company with a proven track record of successful raccoon removals, and one that has experience working with raccoons in residential areas.
- Prevention measures: A good raccoon removal service will also offer prevention measures to help ensure that raccoons don’t return to your property.
In conclusion, raccoons can be a nuisance and a health hazard. Still, you can safely and effectively remove them from your property with the right approach. Whether you handle the situation on your own or hire a professional raccoon removal service, take action promptly to minimize damage and health risks. By following the tips in this article, you can restore peace and safety to your home and property.